Thursday, October 24, 2013

Bedroom Ceilings Got to Go

After many discussions, priming, more discussions and finally some hands on research, we decided to start looking what was under those 50 year old bedroom ceiling tiles. They are so ugly... and who knows what they've seen and well, they could still retain the old house smell.

No thanks! So, pry bar, hammer and needle-nosed pliers and I was off.
I did find out what left that stain in the middle of the ceiling. Ironically enough, due to the house shifting over the years, the actual leak was from the center of the house and the water ran to that spot. Thanks Gravity!
So as I started to peel back the tiles and found more oddity's....

One bedroom had wood strips holding up the tiles with staples. The other bedroom they used glue and staples. I seriously wonder which room they did first and what learning's they had as they attached each tile.
Glue versus strips plus nails.... I prefer the wood strip method. Record time in taking them down. Mind you, the rooms are 13x13. So That's 169 tiles in each room. 169 tiles time 4 staples for the corners and an additional 4 staples in the centers of each side. That's approx 1352 staples to be removed. 1352 *2 rooms - = 2704 staples. Fun.      

Oh by the way, we'll be sheet rocking back over the ceilings. We are glad we took them down. Nasty old tiles bye bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment